Thursday, September 21, 2006

on a happier note

Let's talk about TV. TV critics across the country are opining about the new fall season, so why shouldn't this Opinionated Person add her two cents worth? (Please don't answer the rhetorical question. Thank you.)

First let's back up a bit. It's first season is already over, but psych is pretty darn fun. I'm also happy to see two of my favorite actors, Dule' Hill (Charlie on West Wing) & Tim Osmundson (Sean on Judging Amy) on such a good show. Check it out when it returns in January. Same for Kyle XY, which appear cheesy but is actually a fascinating character study (with the added bonus of Nicholas Lea). Eureka is also a bunch of fun; the premise is far fetched, but the characters are rich and there's lots of good acting (especially the sheriff & his main rival).

The Amazing Race is the only reality show I watch. Period. To give you an idea how good it is: I actually got goosebumps watching the opening credits this year. Phil Koeghan and his arched eyebrow rule. The race this year started in Seattle (I kept exclaiming, "hey I've been there! I know that place!"); it was a brutal first episode, though, wiping out two teams instead of just one. Youch.

The best of the best returning shows: Veronica Mars, 24, Boston Legal, Law & Order: SVU (just when will an Emmy go to Christopher Meloni?!?), Grey's Anatomy (I got hooked on this one over the summer, dammit. The medical stories are often horribly unrealistic (what Izzy did to get Denny a heart? oh puh-LEASE) but the characters are compelling.), Lost, and last but sure as frak not least, Battlestar Galactica.

And an honorable mention to a show that no longer has first-run episodes: The Justice League. I'm still on the first season, but it's definitely not just a kiddies show.

Then the new shows that have me quite intrigued: Studio 60 (stellar cast, Aaron Sorkin, plus in the first hour they call Pat Robertson a bigot? What's not to love?!?), Heroes, and The Nine (John Billingsley & Chi McBride? I am so there!). If I discover any others I will, as part of my sacred TV advisory duty, let you know as soon as I do.

Happy couch potatoing!

2 comments:

Gina said...

I am a Lost and Grey's fanatic.

And although I dearly want to, I just cannot seem to get into Studio 60. The Christian blonde lady- I'm just not buying her as a great comedienne. I'll keep watching, for a while, but it's defnitely on my "endangered" list.

Melodee said...

We share Grey's Anatomy and 24 in common. Other than that, nothing! (I tried to watch Studio 60, but I kept losing interest.)

(And I said that before I read Gina's comment.)