Wednesday, September 06, 2006

mish mash

A sunny day, but not hot. Gotta like that. Little bit of a Vicodin buzz, which is nice of course but then there's the reason(s) you had to take it in the first place, which pretty much negates the whole buzz thing.

In the wee dawn-breaking hours this morning, I awoke to my classical Vicodin scenario: yes, the dreaded Early Morning Migraine. (That plus my new cell phone's battery was beeping for my attention.) If left unchecked it would have been a doozy, too: a half hour post pills, it was still gripping my head. (The headache, not the phone. In case that wasn't obvious to the non-Vicodin influenced crowd.) Fortunately I fell asleep shortly thereafter and awoke 8 or 9-ish no longer with a vise clinging to my head. Not that it's over, mind you...I know my body well enough to have already taken a follow-up pill. I can still feel it hovering (the vise, not the pill), especially as I look at my Benjamin. Which, I realized at 5 am whilst waiting for the vise to loosen, is the reason this thing struck in the first place.

I brought B home from the hospital yesterday. Three years ago I diagnosed him with kidney disease, and until now he has done fantastically well. But last Friday he wouldn't eat his breakfast & looked fantastically puny; I hauled him to work w/me & discovered his kidney values had shot sky-high. So the vet had to hospitalize her own cat, hooking him up to IV fluids to flush the toxins out of his system. He was well behaved for everyone (yeah sure he was there, here at home is a different matter). Hopefully the only major "hassle" will be administering his fluid injections & new meds. Although I'd feel much better if he would have lapped up his milk a few minutes ago with his usual gusto; as it was he just took a sip. (Did I mention his superhero name has always been Dairy Cat?) So we'll see if a few injections help his tummy. And me, heh. Meanwhile he's gone back to his nap on top of the fridge. Get your appetite back, dang you.

And here I thought I was done with Vicodin for awhile. Not because of the Current Crisis or from lack of headaches until now (although I am of course grateful for that), but because I had to pop a fair amount of it last week. Do you ever end up with an injury of some sort and wonder what the heck you did? I do that all the time, especially with bruises and the like. This time, though, it was my entire lower back. I have no clue what I did, but lordy I could barely move! So I crawled (or something like that) to the walk-in clinic and was prescribed naproxen (prescription-strength Aleve) & Vicodin. Darn this 40-something body falling apart! Oh well, at least I can move again.

And, of course, a farewell "crikey!" to the Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin. You know, I never watched his TV shows but I certainly appreciated his enthusiasm and respect for the Animal Kingdom. His sudden departure seems to have hit hard for many of us; we can only hope his outlook inspires a whole new generation of conservationists. RIP, Steve.

No comments: