Thursday, March 09, 2006

Leave my aunt alone!

My poor Aunt June. Uncle Jack passed away in January (they had over 50 years of marriage). She helped him with his Parkinsons for ~20 years, so along w/the grief this was the time for her body to heal as well (caregiving can take a horrid toll on your physical reserves). But such was not to be.
  1. Seven weeks ago she was rushed to the ER for what turned out to be 6 pyloric & duodenal ulcers. She had lost so much blood that any longer and they might have lost her.
  2. Two weeks ago she caught that horrid gastrointestinal virus that's been going around. She was so dehydrated she was given intravenous fluids.
  3. Tuesday my cousin found her incoherent. She was rushed to the ER again and this time was diagnosed with The Pneumonia From Hell. The fever has finally broken, but yesterday her lungs weren't looking any better (x-rays) and she had developed a horribly rapid heartbeat.

The poor woman is literally sick & tired of being sick & tired! She is the only one left of my mom's siblings & in-laws. She is fighting (she & Mom were twins, so the stubborness factor is HUGE, lol). But now we have to wait to see if her body if up to the challenge as well.

I literally want to yell "leave my aunt alone!" at someone or something, but generally life is more complicated than that. For any of you that do that sort of thing, prayers &/or kind thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Editor's update: What is it about the power of a blog? Second time today that I learn something new as soon as I've finished posting. (Excuse me while I look around for Rod Serling.) Just talked to one of my cousins, and today the doctor said that she doesn't have pneumonia. Her lungs look bad because it's her asthma w/a very nasty flare-up. However, she does still have a horrible bacterial infection -- but it's in her bloodstream (septicemia). So she's going in this afternoon for a battery of tests to try to locate the original source. Keep those prayers comin'.

2 comments:

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I am not one to seek help through prayer. But living on a farm, close to Nature I have witness the power of the life force. From how you describe your aunt she is filled with life force and courage to struggle. I wish her well and comfort to you to have to witness an admired Aunt struggle.

Nature disperses no justice. Your Aunt disserves a better quality of life. With good care and attention she will eventually achieve it with here family doting her for some more bonus years.

Geek Girl Beck said...

My thoughts and prayers will most certainly be with your Aunt, mama! Here's to a speedy recovery!